QML Pathology offer short Synacthen® tests through specialist test clinics at Capalaba, North Lakes and the Wesley Hospital.
This is a test only and not a treatment for poorly functioning adrenal glands.
Synacthen® is not suitable for patients in some conditions, including:
• Patients with previous allergic reactions to ACTH and/or tetracosactrin
• Viral disease or recent vaccination with live virus
• Peptic ulcers
• Acute psychoses
• Cushing’s syndrome
• Infections (unless antibiotics are being administered at the same time)
• Heart failure (refractory)
• Pregnancy and breast feeding
• Adrenocortical insufficiency
Caution is also advised for patients with asthma or other allergic conditions and patients with diabetes mellitus or moderate to severe hypertension.
Please be aware some medications may affect the results of the Synacthen® test. These include:
• Some corticosteroid medicines, including cortisone and hydrocortisone
• Oestrogens, including the birth control pill and hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
Patients should be advised they will receive an Intramuscular Tetracosactrin injection and will need to allow at least one and a half hours to be in the unit.
This test has an out of pocket cost of $80.00* for patients.
To request Synacthen® please download and complete the request form below.
*Prices, where displayed, are subject to change without notice.