Please note: illegible handwritten requests can not be processed until all information is clarified, this will delay the registration process. In order to reduce transcription errors and our mutual medico-legal liability, please submit typed requests where possible.
We advise that warfarin dosing responsibility remains that of the treating LMO until a warfarin registration is accepted by QML Pathology.
Introducing the QML Pathology Warfarin Care Clinic.
Let us take the hassle out of Warfarin dosing for you. Not only do we provide exceptional testing services but also support to referring doctors with the monitoring and management of patients undergoing warfarin therapy.
Let our team of specialist pathologists, medical practitioners and health professionals make the warfarin management process more convenient for you.
Our services include
- Contacting the patient regarding their dose in a timely manner
- Following up abnormal results with the patient and the doctor
- Reminders should patients be overdue for a blood test
- Educational and informational material for the patient to assist with their warfarin therapy.
Enrolling and registering your patient
Step 1: Check Patient’s Eligibility
Confirm the patient:
- or their carer can understand English
- has at least two contact numbers where the primary contact number is a mobile
- has ceased or is not on low molecular weight heparin (LMWH), and INR is therapeutic.
Please note: QML Pathology does not monitor the Warfarin doses of patients who are still on LMWH and are NOT under the direct care of a specialist. Patients who have had a previous history of non-compliance may not be accepted onto the monitoring program.
Step 2: Collate Details
- Patient details, medical history, medications, Warfarin doses and INRs.
- LMO details - NOTE WE CANNOT ACCEPT A PATIENT WITHOUT AN LMO.
- Supply pharmacy or care giver contact details if patient is unable to manage their own medications.
Step 3: Submit Patient Registration Request
Submit Patient Registration Form to Warfarin Care Clinic via:
- Email - Send completed Patient Registration Form to email@example.com (preferred).
- Fax - Send completed Patient Registration Form to (07) 3121 4335.
- Online - Using our online Warfarin Registration Tools (Located in our Doctor's Dashboard section via Medical & Professional Login).
- Telephone - Call 1300 795 355.
Once Patient Registration has been approved by the Warfarin Care Clinic, you will receive the patient’s Registration Number, and this is to be included on the initial request form.
Step 4: Include Patient Registration Number on Initial Request Form
- INR - NEW QML control
- Registration number: #####
- Complete a request form for INR testing, in tests requested:
- Rule 3 Exemption
- FBC and E/LFTs (if required)
- If the patient has not had FBC and E/LFTs with QML Pathology in the past two months, please request these with their first INR.
Please note: If the patient has been registered via a public hospital or the registering doctor does not wish to receive ongoing INR results, the above request form is to be completed for the patient to take to their primary care doctor for a signature. However, you must supply a one-off request form for the patient’s first test, completed as above excluding the ‘Rule 3 Exemption’.
- Rule 3 Exemption is to be noted on the request form when the requesting doctor is the primary care doctor.